20 Questions with Cover Model and NPC Figure Maria Kapinos
1) Please introduce yourself? What makes you special? Who is Maria Kapinos?
To sum me up: Reserved, loyal, dedicated, hardworking, trustworthy.. Oh yeah- and a big fan of COMMON SENSE- lol!!
2) Please tell us a bit about your family, friends and surroundings?
3) How did you start with modeling?
I sort of fell into it. My former trainer (Heather Lee) brought me along on a few of her photo shoots and it all went from there, I learned a lot by watching her.
4) What are your thoughts about stepping on stage as of right now?
Currently, I'm undecided about when I will compete again.
5) What is your idea of what judges want in a Figure competitor? Do you think judges are clear enough with competitors about how they want you on stage? It seems in Europe they are very clear unlike in the USA.
Apparently the judges are looking for a softer more feminine look now then in the past. They want condition, symmetry and overall appearance with attention to detail (tan, makeup, suit selection, jewelry). Though my answer is probably standard, I really am not 100% sure the exact judging criteria.
The Arnold 08 was a fantastic experience for me as well as a lot of hard work! I met so many people and had backstage access at all the shows (thanks to that press pass!!) . Its really is amazing to see how much is added to the weekend every year.
7) What is your typical training routine in the gym (per day, include sets and reps!) How much cardio do you do?
My training varies.. Currently I'm doing the 'Westside Split' which you hit each body part twice a week but in a different way. I also incorporate a lot of strongman training into my routine, I'm not a fan of just doing sets and counting reps in the gym week after week so my boyfriend has been introducing me to these new methods to keep me from getting bored and to keep up my motivation. Overall my training can be a little unorthodox to say the least.
8) What type of foods do you have in your diet?
Right now-- All types!! Off season I don't worry too much about what I eat, but I do try to stay relatively clean. I'm eating more red meat now then in the past. Its hard for me to keep the size that I like so I eat to maintain that more then anything else- getting lean when I have to isn't a problem.
9) How do you prepare mentally, physically and emotionally for a photoshoot?
I try to make prepping for a photo shoot fun, I love choosing outfits (if I can) and playing with hair and makeup. I try not to get too stressed out but I usually am- I tend to be a bit obsessive sometimes!
10) What motivates you to train/diet?
11) Please tell us an interesting experience you had recently, be it a fun thing or something rather not so fun?
The most interesting experience over the last few months was definitely putting in Kai Greene's stage contact lenses for the night show at the Arnold. I have seen a you tube of it and I feel so bad for him having to endure me digging in his eyes!! In my defense the costume lenses were NOTHING like the ones I wear everyday! Difficult to work with!!
12) What is your personal opinion about the figure, fitness, bodybuilding industry we are in? Anything you would like to see changed?
The industry is so populated right now. I haven't been involved very long but it is definitely its own little world with a lot going on. Hopefully as the industry gains more popularity it can become a little more mainstream.
13) What has been your hardest challenge to overcome either in your personal life or competing career?
My hardest challenge was getting over my fear of stage fright and doing something outside of my comfort zone (getting on that stage!). I'm a very reserved person and being the center of attention is not my thing at all!
14) What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?
15) What is your opinion about the 20% rule the IFBB issued to some female athletes in which the more muscular competitors had to loose 20% of muscle mass? Why do you think they did it? Do you think competitors will follow it? Or it will get lost around somewhere?
I can understand the thought behind the 20% rule but I don't agree with it. I believe the ladies should come in as they like and if a more muscle makes them happy and confident then more muscle they shall have!
16) How do you balance your family life with competing and dieting for shows? Do you have a support system around you (family, etc...)?
My friends and family are aware that I get a little withdrawn when getting ready for a show. I have explained it to them and asked for their patience. They know me well enough to understand that I need to be focused and follow a strict schedule.
17) Please tell us about how you were raised and did you have any interesting experiences while growing up?
I believe I had a rather typical upbringing, Mom, Dad, annoying little brother, ha ha!!
18) Do you have an athletic background? Gymnastics, soccer, volleyball or what?
Not really! I dabbled in ballet, gymnastics as a child but it has nothing to do with my involvement in fitness today.
My days are not typical due to my work schedule- though I'm usually in bed by 11pm when possible. Eat, work, train - that's it in a nutshell.
20) What is your current occupation? Please tell us more about it, what do you specifically do in your job?
I think there is no regulation with people in this industry, they are not in a normal work environment and have no rules to abide to in regards to treating others. A lot of egos exist due to the nature of the industry, on top of that dieting, travel and odd situations make for a disaster. Miscommunications and misunderstandings pervade the people in the industry as they do not see each other very often and fall into incorrect assumptions.