1) Please introduce yourself? What makes you special? Who is Melanie Albinio?
I am Melanie Albinio and I compete in the NPC bikini division. I have been competing for two years and have placed top 10 in all 9 of my shows with 7 of those placings being top 3.
2) Please tell us a bit about your family, friends and surroundings?
I am married to my high school sweetheart, Jake, who is a professional MMA fighter for American Top Team, among other things. Together we have a 5 year old daughter and are currently living in Southern California. We are known as the nomadic family as we have moved across the US twice now and are always looking for an adventure!
3) How did you start competing in bikini?
I believe you should always bring your best package. This is bodybuilding right? So muscles and a tight lean body should be on display! Soft curves are beautiful but I like to work hard to be hard.
It is very confusing!!! I competed the weekend before USA's in LA and took second place to a softer bodied girl, then at USA's I beat her by quit a few placing's. I really wish it was more consistent but all I can do is bring my personal best to each show.
6) For the next shows what do you think you need to work on physique-wise/conditioning-wise? If anything!
7) What is your typical training routine in the gym (per day, include sets and reps!) How much cardio do you do before a show?
Mondays and Thursdays I hit legs. I usually work in tri-sets with heavier loads maxing out around 12-15 reps.
1 week before a show my diet completely changes!! I do a good depletion and load cycle.
9) How do you go about dropping your water before the day of the show? How much water do you drink the day of the show. Please be specific.
I will start cutting my water intake as I start my carb load. The first day I drink 3/4 gallon, the next day 1/2 and the third I drink around 12 oz. I try to keep it to just sips the day of the show.
10) What motivates you to train/diet and compete? Are there any competitors you looked up to?
Oh boy!!! So many crazy things happen backstage!!! I think the worst is when girls get drunk.... its just not cute!! I've seen some girls throwing up one minute then lining up to go on the next. I don't know how they can walk in those heels being that drunk!!
12) What is your personal opinion about the figure, fitness, bodybuilding industry we are in? Anything you would like to see changed?
I love the comrades of this industry. I meet so many awesome ladies at my shows and we stay connected through social media and really encourage one another. As for changes I think all shows should have a buffet for the competitors after finals. Preferably a cupcake buffet. :) haha. And consistency would be nice!
13) What has been your hardest challenge to overcome either in your personal life or competing career?
14) Did you make any changes to your contest prep for your last show? Water intake, carbing up, etc..
15) What do you think of bikini division?
I love the bikini division!! The IFBB pro's are all amazingly fit women. I think the posing is fun and I like how you can have an individual routine that really shows your personality.
I'm a variety girl so I usually con who ever I am going to dinner with to share a few different appetizers with me. Usually nachos are ordered and I always munch on Cookie Butter with chocolate rice cakes right after finals....... and all the way to the restaurant.... and sometimes I even bring it into the restaurant!
I had a pretty good childhood. My mom was a stay at home mom and my dad worked in Alaska as a commercial fisherman so he would be gone for months at a time. I have one older sister so it was just the girls a lot! But when dad came home we would take LONG camping trips to make up for lost time. I have a lot of great memories from those trips.
18) Do you have an athletic background? Gymnastics, soccer, volleyball or what?
I was the athletic child that didn't know I was athletic! I didn't play any sports or take any dance classes until my junior year in high school when I finally tried out for the cheerleading team and made it! That's how I learned I had some athletic ability!
19) What is a typical day in the life of Melanie Albinio ? From waking up to until going to bed?
I usually wake up between 6:30 and 7 am and try to squeeze in a cup of coffee before my daughter gets up. Once she's up its breakfast, gym, meal 2, meal 3, dance class then lunch for the munchkin, meal 4, meal 5, dinner, bath then bed by 10! haha. My husband works away from home a lot and I am a personal trainer so I have a pretty easy flexible schedule.
20) What is your current occupation? Please tell us more about it, what do you specifically do in your job?
I became a personal trainer in 2005 and work with clients all over and do online training as well. I'm currently working on setting up a web site so I can expand my online business. I love my occupation and would like to go back to school to get my masters in nutrition. There is nothing more rewarding to me than helping others reach their goals and become healthy and happy with themselves. Its amazing what proper nutrition and an active lifestyle can do for someone's self worth.