20 Questions with Cover Model and 2012 Rockstar Bikini Winner Ashley Kaltwasser
1) Please introduce yourself? What makes you special? Who is Ashley Kaltwasser?
I am a super hardworking and motivated individual. I never take the easy route.
2) Please tell us a bit about your family, friends and surroundings?
I try to surround myself with positive and supportive friends. Most of who get my lifestyle. My family is also very supportive as well.
3) How did you start competing in bikini?
My high school track coach began competing in figure. I was inspired to compete as well. When I found out about the bikini division, it was icing on the cake. I felt like bikini fit my body type and personality well.
4) What is your personal policy (not what the judges want) about conditioning and muscularity when coming into a show? Soft or hard?
I try to come in somewhere in between.
5) What is your idea of what judges want in a bikini competitor? Do you think judges are clear enough with competitors about how they want you on stage? It seems in Europe they are very clear unlike in the USA and now in Canada things are confusing.
I believe I have a good idea on what they want for the Bikini Division. They seem to often times favor a small waist, toned yet curvy, a full booty, not too muscular, and not too thin...and looks also seem to play a part. It is also inportant to remember that a good suit always helps! For my last show, the Arnold, I got my suit from CJ's Elite Competition Wear. I will never buy a suit from anywhere else again. It fit like a glove and was absolutely stunning on stage.
I think they are becoming more and more consistant with judging what they want. If you see the girls winning now, they all have similar traits.
6) For the next shows what do you think you need to work on physique-wise/conditioning-wise? If anything!
Rear delts and outter thighs
7) What is your typical training routine in the gym (per day, include sets and reps!) How much cardio do you do before a show?
If I am training legs, I will probably do something like this:
4 sets of 10-12 squats on the Smith Machine
4 sets of 10-12 leg press
4 sets of 10-12 leg extensions
4 sets of 10-12 hamtring curls
4 sets of 10-12 a glute exercise of my choice
I finish this of with about 20-30 minutes of cardio. I do cardio about 5-6 times a week. My cardio stays the same comming into a show.
8) What is your pre-contest diet? (per day, 1 week before the show)
One week before the show, it is the same as my regular contest diet exept the green beans and other veggies are replaced with asparagus, and I may have a little bit more carbs and fat a couple days before the show as well.
9) How do you go about dropping your water before the day of the show? How much water do you drink the day of the show. Please be specific.
The day before the show I drink about a half gallon of water. The day of the show I just take sips of water to make sure I do not get dehydrated.
10) What motivates you to train/diet and compete? Are there any competitors you looked up to?
I have always been a competitive person with just about anthing. It is just who I am. I love to challenge myself constantly, and see how far I can push myself! I love the feeling of being on stage knowing that I have brought my best package. I look up to all the IFBB Pro bikini girls. No one in particular, because they are all amazing in their own unique way! They have all worked so very hard to be where they are at right now.
11) Please tell us an interesting experience you had at a show recently, be it a fun thing or something rather not so fun?
I got to meet and take pictures with Arnold himself on three different occasions during the Arnold weekend. I also won the Rock Star bikini contest and got to ride in a limo with all of the other RSB girls to prejudging. The RSB party at the Vault in Columbus was a lot of fun! I met a bunch of great girls. So many great opportunities have come about thanks to Rock Star Bikini!
12) What is your personal opinion about the figure, fitness, bodybuilding industry we are in? Anything you would like to see changed?
I think everything is perfect. There are plenty of divisions for almost every fit body type. The NPC is doing a great job of putting on shows. They usually draw a big crowd. I am seeing more and more girls these days getting the "competition bug" and this industry is rapidly growing!
13) What has been your hardest challenge to overcome either in your personal life or competing career?
Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe the toughest part for me (and most other people) is adapting to the contest diet.
14) Did you make any changes to your contest prep for your last show? Water intake, carbing up, etc...
Yes! I usually carb up a great deal for shows, but for the Arnold Amateur, my carb intake was moderate. I also changed my water intake for this show. I usually didn't cut water til the last minute (evening before show) but this time I started a day or so before.
15) What do you think of bikini division?
I think it's great! It gives women who do not want to put on a large amount of muscle a chance to compete and it promotes a healthy lifestyle!
16) What are your favorite foods to eat right after you compete on a Saturday night?
Usually it's half of a large pepperoni pizza with marinara sauce on the side to dip... And maybe a couple cocktails too ;)
17) Please tell us about how you were raised and did you have any interesting experiences while growing up?
Interesting? Not really. I just grew up in your average suburban neighborhood in OH. I lived the normal childhood life, and constantly in sports.
18) Do you have an athletic background? Gymnastics, soccer, volleyball or what?
I have been in athletic for as long as I can remember. I was a competitive gymnast, a competitive swimmer, ran track and field, ran cross country, and now I am in the sport of Bikini!
19) What is a typical day in the life of Ashley Kaltwasser? From waking up to until going to bed?
First, I wake up and eat my first meal. I chill out a little bit at the house (watch tv, facebook, ect.) then I take my pre workout and get ready for the gym. I weight train for about 45 minutes, then finish off with about 30 minutes of cardio. After that I drink my protein shake and eat half of a grapefruit. I head home and take a shower. I get ready for work and pack the rest of my meals for the night. When I get off of work, I chill out again for a little bit, and head to bed.
20) What is your current occupation? Please tell us more about it, what do you specifically do in your job?
I bartend, and do some fitness modeling on the side