20 Questions with Cover Model Tiina Kasvi
1) Please introduce yourself? What makes you special? Who is Tiina Kasvi?
Hi, I´m Tiina Kasvi, fitness / figure competitor from Helsinki, Finland.
I´ve been competing since 2000 in fitness. This year I´ll do my depute in figure, April 14. I´m so excited, like going to do a first show ever!
I´m open, honest and family-focused person who has always many thins going on same time ;) I would say I´m happily busy. I´m ambitious and persistent in my hobby, obviously I have to be cause I´ve done this for so long ;)
2) Please tell us a bit about your family, friends and surroundings?
I´m countryside girl, coming from middle of nowhere :)
Bit more exact, I born and lived until 15 years old in little countryside village, north of Finland.
I got 3 little sisters (30, 16,10yrs) to whom I´ve been making easier way to grow up ;) .. Yep, I´ve been the rebel one :D
My super-mom lives still in same village with her husband and my youngest sister, so I´m lucky to see also some of my oldest friends from childhood few times in a year while visiting my family. My family has always been very close to me, even though I moved away very young. My mom is my role model and great friend, with who I talk by phone at least 3 times a week <3
My closest friends are important to me, I really respect them and I´m blessed to have such a great friends, who helps me with my son, kicks me forward during competition season and they definitely know how to celebrate during off season!!
And most important notice!! I´m single! :D
3) How did you start competing in fitness?
When I start to study in bigger city and had to sell my horse, I was couple of years bit lost. Then I met awesome guy, who show me "the magic of gym training" :D I lost my heart to him and gym.. He has gone years ago but gym is still here :D I still want to thank him to taking me there ;)
I trained about year and then I saw fitness show for first time -> I was "sold" in same second! Since that day spring 1998 I start to train one goal in my mind - Get on stage, in shape!
I did my first fitness show 2000, placed 6. I just loved that feeling on stage and I still do :)
4) What is your personal policy (not what the judges want) about conditioning and muscularity when coming into a show? Soft or hard?
My opinion is to keep figure/fitness muscularity in same level that is has been in few latest years. Condition hard and dry (not hard/dry like in bodybuilding)
I think bikini fitness is good class for smaller girls and I hope they keep these 2 different categories separated clearly like those has been. I don´t find any point to have 2 different categories, where same person can win.
5) What is your idea of what judges want in a Figure competitor? Do you think judges are clear enough with competitors about how they want you on stage? It seems in Europe they are very clear unlike in the USA and now in Canada things are confusing.
Well, sometimes it´s been bit confusing.. But you also have to remember that you can´t compare competitors from different years. Today they need to find best physique of today!
6) For the next shows what do you think you need to work on physique-wise/conditioning-wise? If anything!
I need to find more balance between upper and lower body and get more lean. And that´s what I gonna get!
When I made decision to compete in figure, I changed my workout routines quite much. And main goal has been find more balance between upper n down body. I haven´t "save" my legs at all since last may.. Let´s see how it looks in stage!!
7) What is your typical training routine in the gym (per day, include sets and reps!) How much cardio do you do before a show?
Sets and reps are not same all the time, but "roughly" said 3-6 sets per movement and 8-20 sets
Mon: Delts + triceps
Tue: Chest + biceps + abs
Thu: Back + "pump" delts
Fri: Legs + abs
Sun: "pump wo" for hams + gluteus
I start to do more cardio about 3 months before show 3-7 hours per week. Mainly mornings before breakfast.
8) What is your pre-contest diet? (per day, 1 week before the show)
Breakfast: Oatmeal + egg whites
Lunch: Chicken + rise + salad
Snack: Quard + berries + muesli
after workout: Recovery drink
Dinner: Chicken + rise + salad
"nite snack": Eggwhites + protein drink - I make kind of pancake of those
Week before show I leave quard out and all carbs off for few days. I´ll eat carbs again 2 days before show and cut protein down.
9) How do you go about dropping your water before the day of the show? How much water do you drink the day of the show. Please be specific.
In competition week, I drink lots of water during mon-wed and slowly drop amounts smaller. I´ll cut off water about 12 hours before show. In show day I drink only few drops during day. Just before stage I drink few deciliters of water.
10) What motivates you to train/diet and compete? Are there any competitors you looked up to?
I just love that feeling on stage. I think I´ll never be ready, so it motivates me to be better every time.
In Fitness, I look up Oksana Grishina´s routines. She is amazing.
11) Please tell us an interesting experience you had at a show recently, be it a fun thing or something rather not so fun?
Well, this one is definitely not so fun.. I compete first time in States in Arnold amateur last year 2011. And my routine music didn´t work!!! OMG!! I was shocked!! But cause I had already get to States, spend all my money for that trip, done prep for months and I´m stubborn anyway, I didn´t give up! (That´s never a choice for me..)
So I just said to guys, okay, play me what U got.. And I did my routine!!
Well, I didn't go so well :/ But I think from pics during my routine, you cant say, that I really wasn´t enjoying... I was terrified :D
12) What is your personal opinion about the figure, fitness, bodybuilding industry we are in? Anything you would like to see changed?
I only wish these sport would come more popular. Generally "fitness-lifestyle" is in, so I hope more not competing people finds healthy tips to their every day life.
I think whole industry is getting bigger and that's great! But maybe people should think more with "big family"-attitude and leave useless jealousy out.
13) What has been your hardest challenge to overcome either in your personal life or competing career?
In competing career:
To change fitness to figure was big and hard decision to me. But more than I´m competitor or anything else, I´m mom. And my son´s best is priority number one 1 to me. Since he´s dad move to abroad, I can´t use so much time only to myself.
14) Did you make any changes to your contest prep for your last show? Water intake, carbing up, etc...
Not really. We´ll see what my coach says in few months ;) And hopefully I can tell you about this show prep later this year!
15) What do you think of bikini division?
That´s not my cup of tea :) No! For real, I know it needs lot´s of work to get in great bikini shape too.
My sister Mari Kasvi is great bikini competitor! I´ve been coaching her since 2007.
2009 in Las Vegas, she won over all title in Miss Bikini America! I´m so proud of her and our team :)
I´ll "kick" on stage this year too, she´ll probably do West Coast classic show in LA June 23.
16) What are your favorite foods to eat right after you compete on a Saturday night?
Spice Fajitas or great steak with fresh salad and garlic potatoes!! And huge bowl of ice cream of course!!
17) Please tell us about how you were raised and did you have any interesting experiences while growing up?
My childhood was happy and most important things I´ve learned from my parents is to respect others, keep family first, work hard and if you love someone, SHOW it now. Tomorrow it can be too late.
I lost my dad when I was only 14 yrs.
18) Do you have an athletic background? Gymnastics, soccer, volleyball or what?
In my early years (? when I was kid?!?) I use to compete in track and field, when I stopped that and gave my whole heart and mind to horses, I loved to compete in steeplechase (is that right word!??!)
Sport, animals and competing has always been my passions. I wish one day I could find work where I can do all these.. What that could be?!
19) What is a typical day in the life of Tiina Kasvi? From waking up to until going to bed?
5.30am Cup of coffee - try to open my eyes
6-7 cardio on cross trainer at home
- my son to daycare - to office by subway
9-3pm working at office
- pick my son from daycare, cooking and eating
6-8pm workout / training with clients
10pm to sleep
This doesn't look that bad when I write it down like this... Hmmm, why I´m busy?!?
In weekends I try to have one lazy morning, sleep late and enjoy about just doing nothing, watching cartoons on sofa :)
20) What is your current occupation? Please tell us more about it, what do you specifically do in your job?
I work as a assistant to management. I´ve been working in same company now for 10years. Our company is biggest private nightclub group in Finland. I use to work as a nightclub manager for years but since I got my son, I´ve been working at office. I work in reception, also taking care of our membership clients, helping bit our finance department.
I really like my work and now I only do 6 hours days, so I got time to my son and my passion - workout!
Thank you JC & Hardfitness! Looking forward to meet you again!
I want to thank you for great co operation:
With you this road is lighter, together we´ll make dreams come true!
( SM means Finnish Championship)
2011 Fitness Classic 1.
2011 Arnold amateur fitness, Columbus, Ohio 7.
2009 Met-Rx Fitness Classic 1.
2009 European Championship, Slovakia 8.
2009 Leader Body Fitness & Fitness SM 1.
2008 European Championship Makedonia 4.
2008 Force Fitness Classic 2.
2007 Better Bodies Fitness SM 2.
2007 Force Turku Body & Fitness MM karsinta 2.
2004 Fitness SM 3.
2003 Nutri Plus Fitness Classic 3.
2003 Lahti Fitness Classic 3.
2001 Kike Elomaa Fitness Classic 7.
2001 Turku Fitness Classic (karsintakisa) 3.
2001 United Feelings Naisten Fitness SM 5.
2000 United Feelings Tulokkaiden Fitness SM 6.